Monday, September 6, 2010

The Maturation of the @DonGhotti MIXTAPE Series!!!


All good things MUST come to an end.
When I first started this mix tape series back in January of '09 I had no idea that I would end up with 5 installments of some of Indie music's most talented human beings. Initially, I wanted to create a collage of music from all of the people I'd interviewed from my Podcast, but it later blossomed into a series that would fit nicely in any music lovers collection.

Volume 1

The series started where I created a storyline that mirrored an actual trip that I'd took from Atlanta to Los Angeles, then on to New York City and finally back home to Atlanta. When you listen to the skits, you will understand that the music that plays on the tape is actually what I'm listening to on my Ipod Touch during the trip. As I pull the earphones out of my ears and speak, the dialogue is the actual skits. The play list was quickly filled when my music industry friends and resources sent records on behalf of their clients for placements. I then worked alongside budding A&R prospects as well as my friend and engineer DJ EzE to piece the project together in a record 2 weeks. I finally completed the first tape. I worked the marketing and manufacturing magic behind the scenes then launched my first listening party. See the pics HERE !!!

Volume 2
With volume 1 in the bag my mind wouldn't allow me to relax.
I hopped a plane to LA in February during the Grammies and sought inspiration for yet another volume. I still had a huge surplus of records from the first volume which I never used. I wanted this second tape to be a collage of West Coast inspired music. This trip would give me just the vibe to complete it [Click HERE to see my Westside pix]. I spent most of my time in Beverly Hills, cruising down Sunset vibing and listening to Indie music riding shotgun alongside my recording artist Otis Lee. This trip to LA was the perfect medicine needed to complete this tape. I know I'm getting a little ahead of the story, but click HERE to view the pix from my next Listening Party for volume 2. Next on to New York City.... Swoosh!!!

Volume 3
The flight landed safely at Kennedy Airport.
I grabbed my bags and exited to my waiting car service. As I rode through the gritty city I was instantly inspired to make an edgier tape that embodied Urban Indie Street Music. I opened the door to my apartment in the city, dropped my bags, and hit the showers. Fresh out the water, I bundled back up and caught a cab to the Virgin Mega store for the midnight release of Ryan Leslie's debut LP. Think I'm just making this up, well click HERE to see my NYC pix. During this trip I was still promoting volume 1, therefore I was off to my NYC Release Party at Negril Village. My big Homies Big Ced & DJ Music Rocka held me down righteously. DJ Music Rocka spun volume 1 from reel to reel during Ladies night [Thursday]. Again I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but after volume 3 you'll hear me exiting NYC LGA airport back home to my city of Atlanta, but in real life I went on to Washington DC. Click HERE to see the pix from volume 3's release party back in Atlanta.

Volume 4.1 & 4.2
Volumes 4.1 & 4.2 began the Maturation of the Don Ghotti brand.
This was my opportunity to end the storyline and began the opportunity to educate my listeners with quotes between the music. I also broke up the disc set to change up the monotony of the traditional mix tape that the listeners are used to. I'll admit I was quite burn out with producing mix tape projects which means I almost DID NOT drop this project. I didn't even do a release party to promote it. For that, I would like to formally apologize to my fans, "I APOLOGIZE!!"

Volume 5
The Beginning
The End???
This project will be my Magnum Opus.
Volume 5 is the True Maturation of the Don Ghotti brand.
The only way to find out what this project has in store is to simply tune in, the Release Date/Party is slated for October 16th, 2010 [My Birthday weekend] in Los Angeles, California. The final question remains,
WILL YOU BE THERE???

DGV5


;)

Follow me on Twitter @DonGhotti

No comments: